Sunday, July 17, 2011

Rethink your thinking.

What inspires you? It's different for everyone else, right? …or, is it?
What?! You mean I'm not the only one inspired by advertising, creativity, culture, design, and observation who admittedly has a slight music and film addiction? Do I have a doppelganger hanging out in a coffee shop somewhere getting excited about random things like this or that. (I won't go into all my what-I-thought-used-to-be-original intricacies, but yeah, it turns out they're really not. Sorry hipsters, you're probably not alone either.)

No matter how eclectically specific your interests are, you have a tribe out there. My advice? Find them. It will save a lot of time and inspiration hunting.

As a pursuer of patterns, it's getting easier to find like-minded people. 
Though I have only started playing around with the nuances of Google+, the platform seems primed for combining the best of all social connectivity. All in one aggregated place. And let's face it, Google already knows everything about you anyway. Maybe someday you can just have Google auto-update your status for you. You'd probably have to set some ground rules for that to work. "No Google, you may not post my social security number or +1 cat videos while driving my online persona. Thank you." (Okay, if the cat videos are indeed hysterical, I'll go either way on that last rule.)

The question is no longer "What inspires you?" It's, "Do you actually have time to pay attention?" Because if you do, inspiration is everywhere.
An engineer may not care about an art installation. But, what if that nonsensical sculpture inspired a legitimate structure solution. And then what if a surgeon thought like that engineer? The most phenomenal development of the connected world is the immediate access to so many perspectives.

Inspiration is a catalyst for rethinking your thinking.
We're really not that different. It's amazing how small the world is. And I'm very excited to hear some of the world's most connected digital planners, instigators, and creators address this issue at next month's Boulder Digital Works workshop. In person. I'll have updates on that in future posts. And, if you're going to be there, say hi. I'll be the one that is, well, probably like everyone else there.

Bookmark and Share
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment