Tuesday, June 8, 2010

HOW enthusiastic?

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the amount of inspiration unleashed at this year's How Conference. For the most part, every speaker brought something interesting to the table. I've got miles of notes and links to slides with more to follow. But before I get into the sorting and revisiting, I'd like to think about the big picture while it's all still fresh in my mind.

One quote that really stuck with me was from the author of IdeaSelling.

"Selling is simply a transfer of enthusiasm, from you to the decision maker." – Sam Harrison
This is the underlying reason that we go to conferences. It's the transfer of enthusiasm from the speaker to the audience. And from peers to peers. Yes, there's a lot of new knowledge transferred as well, but what we walk away with is a renewed hunger to do something amazing. Armed with a new game plan and random vendor swag (bummed I missed out on the Yupo bags by the way), we are prepared to transfer this enthusiasm to our work, our co-workers, and our clients.

We all get into slumps. Things get in the way. Deadlines. Budgets. Life. But we have to find a way to push through and pursue the extraordinary. What is your genius work? The work that causes you to get lost and lose all track of time. Find a way to do whatever that is.

This quote also got me thinking: 
"Whatever you do when you're procrastinating is probably what you should be doing for the rest of your life." – Jessica Hische

Bookmark and Share
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment