Saturday, May 29, 2010

The purposefully restless life.

Semi-distracted. Over-scheduled. Multi-tasked. It's become the standard. People fill every waking moment with something. Relaxation has been replaced with restlessness.

The outcome of all this restlessness varies. Restlessness can be a catalyst. It challenges the status quo and inspires innovation. It motivates us to pursue new territory. All while making us a little tired and crazy.

For me it's more of an insatiable curiosity. Surface answers are never enough. It doesn't take much to send me down a loosely connected stream of information.

For instance, after watching Art & Copy, I was intrigued by Dan Wieden's Nike tagline inspiration. This led to reading Norman Mailer's alarmingly-human characterization of Gary Gilmore in The Executioner's Song. Interested in how Mailer's mind works, I'm now on a controversial narrative writer kick. I'm starting with more Mailer, Advertisements for Myself. Believe it or not, he was thirty-six when he wrote this book. At that age, thoughts of his own grandeur were still somewhat delusional. In the book, he states that he would settle for nothing less than changing the consciousness of his times. Completely unafraid of failure, he went on to do just that for anyone who would listen. (His personal life may have had serious issues, but as a writer he was audaciously heroic.)

"I don't think life is absurd. I think we are all here for a huge purpose. I think we shrink from the immensity of the purpose we are here for." – Norman Mailer  
Is this restlessness evidence that we are all subconsciously seeking our own huge purpose? I'd like to think so, but maybe I should sleep on it first. Or maybe not.

 

Bookmark and Share
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment